On the morning of Halloween, a couple living in El Monte, California woke to see a cardboard box with a garbage bag around it on the side of the road. Not just that, but the box and the bag started to move. At first they thought it was trash, and then it began to move so they went closer to investigate. That’s when they saw a dog’s snout sticking out; it was a dog and it had chewed through the box and the bag trying to get out. They ripped them open and found a scared and very weak golden retriever puppy. The couple contacted a woman named Piper Wood from Hand in Paw, a rescue group in California. She advised them to rush the puppy to the veterinarian and she met them—and the pup—there.
The puppy was just eight weeks old and they worried he had suffered from oxygen deprivation while in the box and bag. He wasn’t, but he did have parvovirus, a disease that can be fatal to dogs because it attacks the lining of their intestines. Help arrived just in time for the little puppy, it seemed. No one knows exactly what happened to the puppy, who they named Dexter, but they have their suspicions. It is believed that Dexter was born in a backyard breeder situation. Then, when he got sick, they just threw him away rather than getting him the medical treatment he needed. Piper Wood says this is very common; the moment a breeder realizes a dog is sick, they toss them out.
His past was not so great, but Dexter’s future is very bright these days. He’s responding well to medical treatment and is slowly getting better. Hundreds of adoption offers have been pouring in for him too, and he will be in a forever home with a loving family in no time!